Sunday, March 22, 2020

1966 Education - For Fun & Perspective

Current events, COVID-19, and the steps we are taking to control it will be remembered by the young population for their entire lives.

We have been challenged before, as a nation, and we have always come together and become stronger in the end.

I hope you will enjoy these images from an educator magazine from 1966.  As hard as it will be to keep our children "schooled", it still won't be as difficult as it was in 1966. We've come a long way baby...




On page 78, there is a section called Humor in the Classroom
I'm going to share these between the ads.



Shortly before Thanksgiving, my kindergarten class learned the song "Over the River and Through the Woods."  "Why does the song indicate that people had to take a horse and sleigh in order to go to grandfather's house?"  I asked.
     One practical-minded five-year-old replied, "Probably it was too cold and snowy for their cars to start."  - Ilse Riesenfeld, Roosevelt, N.J.





When I asked my sixth-grade pupils to write short essays or poems about what they were thankful for, this was one I received:  "I'm thankful for my mother, I'm thankful for my dad, I'm even thankful for my sister I wish Mom hadn't had."  -Mrs. John Liu, Bloomington, Ind.





During music, I paused to make sure my third-graders understood the words in "America the Beautiful."  "What does 'fruited plain' mean?"  I asked.
     Little Jackie explained, sweetly, "That's a jet carrying apples and oranges."  - Deanna J. Kriesel, Pomona, Calif.







A Kindergarten teacher sent the following message to all parents of her pupils at the beginning of the school term:
     "I'll promise not to believe everything your child says happens at home if you promise not to believe everything he says happens at school."  -Herm Albright, Indianapolis, Ind.





In first-grade social studies class, we were studying about Eskimos.  I asked the group if anyone knew what a husky was.
     One boy volunteered, "That's what my dad calls my mom."  -Rozella Glanzer, Huron, S. Dak.





During a discussion of what everyone in the class planend to do over the weekend, I commented that I really didn't have anything special to do.
     A sixth-grade boy offered, "You can come out to our place and help my dog and me catch field mice."  -Linda Raymond, Broken Bow, Nebr.




When one of my fourth-graders suddenly became ill during lunch period, a classmate came running to report:
     "Anita is in the nurse's office.  She disagreed with something she ate!"  -Myrtice E. Coffman, Chino, Calif.




While screening the hearing of a group of third-graders, I was busy recording results of one child's test.  The next boy was putting on the earphones that are marked right and left.  I looked up to find he had them reversed.
     I said, "Stewart, you have them on the wrong ears"
  He quickly replied, "I haven't any other ears."  -Mrs. D.S. Kellsey, Ballston Lake, N.Y.



A kindergarten teacher was explaining about planting seeds and how the result would be the same as the seed planted.  "If you palnt a corn seed, you will get a corn plant; from a sunflower seed, you wil get a sunflower plant. Bring in some seeds and we will plant them," she suggested.
     "Great!" a boy exclaimed enthusiastically.  "I'll bring in some bird seed." - Catharine Voll, Cleveland, Ohio


 One day the school nurse was to check children for ringworm of the scalp, she assigned a boy to act as "runner" from one classroom to another.  I was engrossed in helping a group of pupils with fractions when the boy whirled into my fifth grade classroom and exclaimed, "Mr. Janes, the nurse wants to see the children to have their head examined."  -Edward Janes, Joliet, Ill.







No comments:

Post a Comment