Monday, November 13, 2017

1948 Tatting Pattern ~ Vanity Set

I acquired 2 tatting shuttles years & years ago because I so wanted to learn the art.

There were two sisters in Georgia that had been tatting their entire lives and their handiwork was evidenced throughout the community.  Everyone knew about their talent and everyone coveted the gifts they received from them on special occasions.

We arrived with yarn and shuttles in hand.  The sisters were unmarried and lived in an old family two-story home with few modern amenities. They were so excited to receive guests in their home, they began chatting as they were 'teaching'.  But they had been doing it so long, they couldn't tat slowly.  As they chatted, the piece each of them were working on grew from waist to floor in a matter of minutes.

No matter how we begged them to slow down so we could observe the movement of the shuttle, they just continued to produce mass quantities of beautiful tatting.

Needless to say, I did not learn the art.  But I did enjoy the visit.

This is just one of hopefully many patterns I hope to share.  I would LOVE to see YOUR finished product if you wouldn't mind posting a picture on this post.  It would bring me so much joy to see these patterns being used with a new generation and the art being kept alive.

I'm sharing these free of charge....but of course with a full time job and household to run, it does take time.  If you enjoy seeing, sharing, and/or using these patterns,  I would be sincerely grateful if you could make a tiny 50 cent donation.

On to the project!




No comments:

Post a Comment